Pioneer in CUHK
- United College has always been at the forefronts of academic pursuits and social development. The disciplines of electronic engineering, government and public administration, biochemistry were first established here in the 1970s.The late Professor Charles K Kao, 2009 Nobel Laureate in Physics, joined United College to establish the Department of Electronics in 1970. He was appointed as United College Distinguished Laureate. The College was honoured to have Professor Kao interviewed in 2008 for the publication United We Advance (PDF).
- United College established the Tien Chi Microcomputer Laboratory, the first of its kind on the University campus in September 1985, pioneering in promoting the information technology education.(PDF).
- United College set up the first archive on University campus – Shum Choi Sang United College Archives in 1999.
- In 2001, United College set up the first pub in the University – Si Yuen Amenities Centre. The Centre equipped with a bar, a performance stage and a lounge for karaoke fun.
- In 2004, United College Endowment Fund Committee took the lead to support the construction of a solar powered water heating system in Cheung Chuk Shan Amenities Building. The system provides hot water supply to the changing rooms of the Physical Education Unit. This initiative inspired the University to build similar systems in 27 university hostels and swimming pool. With a comprehensive energy-efficient policy, the University won the gold award, the highest honour in the Schools (Tertiary) Category of the First Hong Kong Energy Efficiency Awards by the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department of the HKSAR Government.